Let’s face it. You can use plenty of sunscreen, retinol, and the other things we have discussed in our beauty maintenance series, but you are still going to age. Our beauty maintenance tips series talked about a lot of things that can keep your skin looking good. But eventually you’re going to start losing support in the deeper tissues of your face and neck and things are going to sag. You know where this shows up earliest? Your neck! Today we’re going to discuss our solutions for your sagging neck.
Solution #1: Wear a scarf!
Who doesn’t like a scarf? They keep you warm and can disguise a sagging neck! But they’re not always practical.
- Helps keep you warm in the winter.
- Can be stylish as an accessory.
- Relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at many stores in Short Pump Town Center.
- It’s not always winter.
- Wool can be itchy.
- Seriously, in July you can get heat stroke.
Solution #2: Pelleve
Pelleve uses radiofrequency energy to heat the deeper layers of your skin to stimulate collagen formation. There is no downtime and minimal discomfort. Heck, I have had two treatments without any anesthesia and we all know that guys are wusses. Typically we start with one treatment a month for three months to get your collagen stimulated. Sagging necks get better when you put more collagen into them. For more, check out this link to the manufacturer’s page.
- It’s kind of like a hot stone massage treatment which can feel nice.
- You get to hang out with our master aesthetician Gaylin Vandebroucke on multiple occasions. You can talk about our private label skin care line!
- No down time or recovery to speak of.
- Can be used all over your face, not just your neck.
- You’re not going to get as big a response as you will with the other treatments we’re going to discuss.
- It requires multiple treatments. As much as you like hanging out with us, you may have better things to do!
Solution #3: Precision Tx Laser Lift
The PrecisionTx Laser lift system involves using a laser to destroy fat cells and tighten your skin much more effectively than Pelleve can. It is a one-time treatment done by Dr. Schmidt in the office under local anesthesia. The results aren’t quite as good as you’ll get with a lower face and neck lift, but the recovery is much easier. For more, check out this link to the manufacturer’s page.
- Only takes an hour and is done in the office with local anesthesia so you don’t have to pay for a surgery center or an anesthesiologist.
- Much less expensive than a formal lower face and neck lift.
- 3 days of recovery time instead of a week or more with a formal lift.
- No stitches!
- Technically a surgery since I have to make three tiny (like 2 mm) incisions.
- Three days of down time may be too much for some with really busy lives- like if you have four small kids and you’re starting a practice, for instance.
- Not a good solution for people with heavy platysmal bands.
Solution #4 Lower Face and Neck Lift
This is the gold standard and has been so for thirty or more years. It’s a formal surgical procedure that requires sedation or general anesthesia. The deeper tissues of your sagging neck are lifted and re-suspended so we can be sure that they will go where we want them. Frequently we combine the surgery with some liposuction under the chin to help to sculpt the area.
- You can get the best result of any of the procedures we discussed.
- You’re under anesthesia so you won’t feel or be aware of anything.
- You get to see the new surgery center across from Dr. Schmidt’s office.
- It’s by far the most expensive of all of these options. It takes a lot longer and it’s done at the surgery center, both of which cost money.
- There are stitches and 7-10 days of down time.
- Frequently you will have some numbness around your ears for several months.
Pelleve, PrecisionTx, and lower face and neck lifts are all good solutions for sagging necks. Call us for a consult or fill out the form to the right and we can figure out which procedure is the best for your budget, schedule, and neck!